The activities in Sweden are two-fold: assistance to migrants who are exposed to trafficking in human beings and/or to prostitution in Sweden, and payments of reintegration cash support to voluntary returnees from Sweden.
Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration for Victims of Trafficking and Foreign Citizens in Prostitution in Sweden (AVRRTiPP-SWE)
Since 2012, the AVRRTiPP-SWE programme has provided assistance to migrants who are exposed to trafficking in human beings and/or to prostitution in Sweden. The programme supports both EU nationals and third country nationals.
Since the beginning of 2018 the Swedish Gender Equality Agency holds the national mandate to coordinate counter-trafficking activities in Sweden. The Agency also acts as the donor of the IOM AVRRTiPP-SWE programme. Potential beneficiaries are identified by Swedish regional anti-trafficking coordinators in cooperation with IOM Finland.
Through the programme IOM Finland supports Swedish regional anti-trafficking coordinators, different authorities, and NGOs in planning and arranging assisted voluntary return and reintegration (AVRR) in a safe, humane and sustainable manner. The support includes
- assistance in informing the potential beneficiaries of the AVRR possibility,
- counselling beneficiaries on the whole return process as well as on reintegration possibilities,
- conducting sound risk, needs, and health assessments,
- travel arrangements, including helping in obtaining a travel document, purchasing the flight tickets, providing transit and arrival assistance, and arranging an escort for the travel where necessary, and
- providing individually tailored reintegration support for each beneficiary.
The reintegration support and monitoring after the return are implemented in close cooperation with the local IOM missions and other actors in the countries of return. Together with the help of these parties, the programme aims to help returnees in creating sustainable reintegration plans suitable to their specific needs. IOM stays in touch with each returnee for at least six months after the return, depending on the willingness of the returnee to maintain contact.
In addition to assisting beneficiaries in returning and reintegrating, IOM Finland supports their access to justice. This can include, for example, informing the returned beneficiary of developments in the investigation or court proceedings, or coordinating the beneficiary’s participation in a trial in Sweden.
For more information, contact IOM Finland:
- E-mail: AVRRTIPPSweden@iom.int
- Tel.: +358 9 684 11 50 (IOM Finland switchboard)
Information on the Gender Equality Agency's work on Trafficking in Human Beings here.
All referrals to the programme come from the Swedish regional anti-trafficking coordinators. When referring a new case to the programme, a regional coordinator sends to IOM Finland the following documents:
- The AVRR application (download PDF)
- The risk assessment form (download PDF)
- Copies of the travel document and visa, if possible
All documents can be sent via email AVRRTIPPSweden@iom.int or fax +358 9 684 11 511. IOM Finland confirms in writing, once we have received the application, risk assessment, and copies of travel document and visa(s).
Reintegration cash support
IOM Finland facilitates payment of reintegration cash support to voluntary returnees from Sweden in cooperation with the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket).
To be eligible to apply for the reintegration cash support, the following criteria should be met:
- The person has received a negative decision on his/her asylum application or withdrawn the application
- The person is returning voluntarily and is planning to reside in the country of return
- The person is returning to Afghanistan, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ivory Coast, Iraq, Liberia, Libya, Mali, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, or Yemen
- The person applies for the support while still in Sweden, as soon as possible after having an application for asylum rejected or withdrawn
The payments are coordinated by IOM Finland and carried out in local IOM offices in the countries of origin.
How to apply for the reintegration cash support
If you want to apply for the reintegration cash support, contact your case worker at the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket) before leaving Sweden. The support is granted based on decisions made by the agency. In case Migrationsverket confirms your eligibility, you will be notified with a decision before leaving Sweden. After you have arrived in your country of origin, you should, as soon as possible, approach the local IOM office through the contact details indicated on your decision.
For more information on voluntary return and reintegration cash support, please visit the website of the Swedish Migration Agency.
For inquiries regarding the reintegration cash support for returnees from Sweden, please contact IOM Finland at iomHelsinkiAVRSweden@iom.int.
If you have received a decision from Migrationsverket that you are eligible for reintegration cash support and have any questions regarding the payment process, please contact
IOM Finland's Helpline +358 40 628 1182.
The helpline is operational from Monday to Friday 13:00–15:00 (CET) and can be reached also via WhatsApp and Viber. The helpline serves in English, Arabic, Kurdish (Sorani and Kurmanji), Farsi, Dari and Tajik.